{Recipe Files}: Twice Baked Crock Pot Taco Sweet Potatoes

As promised from last week, I'm sharing the taco sweet potato recipe I made in the crock pot.
Keep in mind that this recipe is vegetarian, but the original recipe had ground beef/turkey in it. I just omitted it because our meals for the week were pretty meat-laden and I wanted something veggie focused. Plus this meal has sweet potatoes and black beans which are both recommended for a healthy pregnancy diet. Score!
What You Need:
~4 sweet potatoes
~1 small onion, diced
~1.5 tsp minced garlic
~1 C drained diced tomatoes
~1/4 C tomato sauce
~15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
~1 Tbsp taco seasoning*
~salt/pepper
~1 C shredded cheese

*I recommend adding a little bit more than this amount to add some better flavoring to everything.

What You Do:
1. Scrub and rinse the sweet potatoes clean. Then poke holes all over them so that the potatoes don't explode in your crock pot (that would not be fun to clean up). Place the sweet potatoes in the crock pot on LOW for 5-6 Hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours (I did the low setting).
2. When the potatoes are close to being done, in a skillet, over medium heat, add in the onion and garlic and a little bit of olive oil to prevent burning. (If you're adding in meat, cook it now with the onion and garlic). 

3. Add in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans and taco seasoning to the skillet. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally and add salt and pepper to taste. 
4. Cut into the sweet potatoes (not all the way through) and wedge them open. Stuff each with the skillet contents and top with cheese. Cook the sweet potatoes for another hour on HIGH.
5. Top the sweet potatoes with whatever topping you want and enjoy!
These were even better, and more flavorful the next day for lunch as leftovers. But definitely a guilt-free dinner that was super tasty and healthy for baby!

Check out some of my other recipes on the Recipes Tab at the top of my page!

13 comments:

  1. These sound so good. I never think to do potatoes in the crockpot!

    Xoxo,
    Whitney & Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY! We eat so many sweet potatoes in our house, this would definitely be a fun twist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so yummy!! I've never had a loaded baked sweet potato and that's about to change! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so yummy and healthy! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good!! Can't wait to try it! I wonder if this would work for regular potatoes as well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound delicious and are definitely healthy! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bookmarked! YUMMMMMMM!!!! I love sweet potatoes. And tacos. Win win win! XOXO, R

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so delicious! Never would have thought about this but it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yessss! I've been waiting for this ever since I saw it in your other post! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look and sound so delicious! I love taking sweet potatoes out of their comfort zone and making them extra savory!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have never thought to cook stuffed sweet potatoes in a crockpot but oh my, this recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look amazing!! I've never done any kind of whole potato dish in the crockpot so I'm intrigued. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts and comments--so, make my day and leave me some lovin'!